A Youngstown Legend.
The Stambaugh Building is located at 44 East Federal Plaza and was completed in 1907. The twelve-story, neo-classical revival building was designed by Albert Kahn of Detroit and financed by John and George Stambaugh. Construction on the eight-story, $1.5 million tower began in 1906 and by November 1907, work had progressed to the cutting of partition tile for the interior and the installation of tile for the floors and sidewalls. The exterior was nearly complete, which was faced with white brick with an intricate trim for the cornice.
The Stambaugh was home to the Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company who occupied the top five floors. The lower three levels and basement were occupied by the Euwer’s Department Store, which opened for business in the tower on August 7, 1908 and featured 25 departments with $200,000 in stock and equipment. Some features of the department store included a mahogany soda fountain on the first level, a novelty telephone system and exchange on the mezzanine, two ladies’ restroom and waiting parlors, and a mammoth electric sign fabricated by the Ohio Sign Company that read “Euwer’s” on the top of the Stambaugh.
In mid-September 1912, the Vindicator had hinted at the possibility that the Stambaugh Building would be expanded vertically, speculation that was formally announced by the Stambaugh’s on September 28. The office tower boasted an 100% occupancy, and the owners were optimistic that by constructing four new floors, that the building could attract large industrial firms to the city.
A contract for construction was let on February 17, 1913 to James L. Stuart of Pittsburgh for approximately $200,000. The plans included the removal of the present cornice and erecting additional steel to raise the building’s height by an additional 60 feet. The steel was set to be placed by May 15, with occupancy by early November, although the addition was finished in the following year. The Stambaugh topped out at 160 feet.
In July 1915, Youngstown Sheet and Tube’s operating department relocated from the Stambaugh to new offices that were constructed at its East Youngstown Works facility. The steel magnate continued to maintain its tenth through twelfth floor presence in the Stambaugh for its auditing and order offices. In December 1925, the steel company took over the eighth and ninth floors, relocating its legal offices, traffic, claim and real estate offices into the city. Youngstown Sheet and Tube moved its corporate offices to suburban Boardman in 1958. The Standard Slag Company relocated to the top threee-and-a-half floors of the Stambaugh shortly after, as did Bessemer Limestone.
On July 18, 1967, it was announced that the Stambaugh, partially owned by John Stambaugh III among others, was to be sold to Youngstown Realty Corporation. The transaction, totaling $1 million, was completed on October 3. Major improvements were planned to the structure, although details were not disclosed. The Stambaugh was sold to the H.L. Libby Corporation in 1983. Howard Libby was a principal partner of Youngstown Realty who expressed desire to restore the office tower. The original terrazzo floors were uncovered, cleaned and polished, the marble walls and stairs cleaned, and the brass restored. The window sashes, long painted over, were restored to their original grained walnut appearance. The mail chutes, built by the Cutler Mail Chute Company of Rochester, New York, were also restored.
But by the 2000s, the Stambaugh was not in the best of condition and the upper floors were vacated by late 2003.
In July 2012, Dominic Marchionda purchased the nearly empty tower. Current plans are for a hotel to occupy the upper levels.